Re: RARA-AVIS: Brit Noir -- Ian Rankin

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 12 Jun 2002

Ed Lynskey < e_lynskey@yahoo.com> said:
> I'm in the middle of Ian Rankin's
> Hide+Seek (1990) and am finding it
> an enjoyable read. Fast-paced, good
> dialogue, cynical Detective. A few
> of the Brit terms have gone over my
> head, but not to detract from the
> story.

Brits tell me a lot of his words are unfamiliar to them, too, because he's using Scots words. That's also why his terms are often hard to find in dictionaries.

Ed also said:
>BTW, I've been copying down the Brit
> Noir authors on my TBD list. Thanks
> to all who contributed on those threads.

I'll add my thanks. I knew and liked several, but there seem to be dozens of good authors. I will have to improve my diet so I live long enough to read through them all.

Joy