Re: RARA-AVIS: Biker Wars

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 May 2002

Joy:

<<When I was a kid, young men in their twenties wore leather jackets, ducktailed their hair, and rode motorcycles. I assumed that, like police, gogo dancers, and marines, 18-year-olds were forever signing up>>

Good motorcycles are expensive. Also, a lot of parents fear that their kids will get killed.

<<and 40-year-olds were retiring or doing desk jobs--constant turnover.>>

You want to retire guys in their prime? That happens on television. Besides, bikers are loyal to their calling
(like deadheadism, it's more than a hobby).

<<Instead, it seems, at least around Philadelphia, no one enlisted after 1970 or so, and all these guys in the clutches of degenerative diseases>>

OK. I'll introduce you to some bikers. Seriously, why do you think there's a retirement age for riding a motorcycle? There isn't for any other kind of riding...

<<are inventing wars and taking sides like testosterone-crazed teenagers. Maybe I'm an ageist.>>

The de rigueur question is de rigueur not asked (because noblesse oblige), cough, cough, tap microphone.

Does anyone remember Ellroy's Suicide Hill? I recall there was a picturesque biker in that one. A fun hardboiled novel.

Regards,

MrT