Re: RARA-AVIS: Biker Wars

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 29 May 2002

There isn't any age limit on riding a motorcycle, MrT, but there is an age limit on paid hand-to-hand combat. The average enlisted military person is 20 and out; police vary by their retirement plans, but anybody in after 30 years has been doing deskwork for a while; even golfers and racecar drivers are over the hill at 40. Your physical prime is behind you at 40. These biker combatants were all in their 50s and 60s.
    I found my early 30s rather depressing. Every birthday, I became ineligible for something else: marines, city police, FBI, state police. Not that I ever aspired to join, but still--the sound of all those doors closing!
    (I'll also note that kids had a whole lot less money when today's 60-year-old was 18, that there's more absentee parenting today, etc.)

    Joy, who did see in the newspaper today that a 50-something history associate professor in Pittsburgh shot a cop in the chest at point-blank range but the cop was wearing body armor, so maybe she oughta be more circumspect in whom she considers dangerous