Re: RARA-AVIS: T.J. Parker

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 29 May 2002

John Lau mentioned SILENT JOE by T. Jefferson Parker, wonderful book, and Carrie Pruett < pruettc@hotmail.com> added, "Yeah, this was a terrific book and it motivated me to check out TJP's backlist too. I had mentally shelved him with generic potboilers based on something, maybe the covers and a very brief run I took at "Red Light." After reading "Joe," I went back to "The Blue Hour" which I just finished and thought was a terrific book. I didn't much care for the storyline - very clinical serial killer story - but the characterizations were good enough to push me past it. Merci Rayborn is probably the most interesting and thoroughly developed female cop I've encountered and I've now got the next two books on my short list. "Blue Hour" was quite different from "Silent Joe" though; there were some common threads, mostly setting, but "Joe" felt much more like classic hard-boiled in terms of plot. though the characterizations are very much his own; parts of both books will probably be too "sappy" or overwrought for some but I found them effective."

I like _Silent Joe,_ too, and bought Red and Blue, but haven't read them yet, I think of the covers.

Joy