MacDonald Was: Re: RARA-AVIS: Reading list

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 27 May 2002

At 12:00 AM 5/25/02 +0000, you wrote:
> Adam Hall - The Quiller Memorandum
> >
> > Donald Hamilton - The Ambushers
> > The Ravagers
> >
> > Martin Cruz Smith - Gorky Park
> >
> > Ross Macdonald - The Underground Man
>
>It would be hard to rank these. All good, except, as
>someone said, The Underground Man isn't the best of
>Macdonald. One of the blurbs on the backs of the Hamilton
>books used to say you could either read it at once or save
>it for dessert. Since you have two, I'd suggest reading one
>immediately and saving one for dessert.

I am currently halfway through "The Underground Man" and think it quite good. I read "The Goodbye Look" last week, and it was fabulous. Have also read "The Zebra-Striped Hearse", "The Drowning Pool" and "The Chill", all by MacDonald. I have heard of Hall and Hamilton. I am putting them both on my short list. I am glad to be a member of this group, it's been very rewarding!

Does anyone else notice the commonalities running through MacDonald's works?

Just Curious,

Brian