Re: RARA-AVIS: Reading list

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 May 2002

All of these books are classics, basically.

--- EJMallory1@aol.com wrote:
> Thought I'd step out of lurker mode to ask about
> a couple of books I was able to pick up cheap at the
> local used bookshop. Any ideas about how I should
> prioritize my reading?
>

> Adam Hall - The Quiller Memorandum

This is an extraordinary book, the debut for an extraordinary series. IMO the best hardboiled spy series, bar none.

> Donald Hamilton - The Ambushers
> The Ravagers

The Matt Helm books are all decent, and some are exceptional. Unfortunately the titles all sound the same, so I can't remember if these two are particularly worthwhile.

Ah, read 'em anyway. I've never read a bad Matt Helm book.

> Martin Cruz Smith - Gorky Park

A police procedural enlivened by the setting and the rather somber character of Arkady himself.

> Ross Macdonald - The Underground Man

A wonderful book as well.

Really, this is a great haul.

doug