Re: RARA-AVIS: New member

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 May 2002

Rene,

Re your comment below:

> those Semyonov books
> sound interesting. I
> don't recall the earlier discussion: were they
> strongly recommended by
> someone? Are the books available in paperback?

I was the one who mentioned Semyonov on 11 January 2002, during a discussion of contemporary Russian crime novels. He was one of three Russian mystery writers I spoke about. The other two were Fridrick Neznansky and Edward Topol.

The only Semyonov book I've read is PETROVKA 38, a Moscow-set police procedural. Petrovka 38 is, I believe, the street address of Moscow's police HQ. Referring to "Petrovka 38" is apparently sort of like saying "Scotland Yard" in London, "Quai d'Ourfevres" in Paris, or "1 Police Plaza" in NYC. The book was in paperback once upon a time, but the English version of the book came out in 1968, so I doubt if there's a current PB edition.

By the way, welcome to the list, Jeremy. I think you'll like it here.

JIM DOHERTY