Re: RARA-AVIS: colloquial and hardboiled

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 23 Apr 2002

In a message dated 4/23/02 1:50:10 PM, jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com writes:

<< The way the character expresses himself, verbally or non-verbally, is an essential component. >>

you've made your point very well, Jim. I simply don't share it. for me, it will ALWAYS be how they express themselves thru their actions. however, I think colloquialism is important in the author's prose style.

a question I haven't yet answered for myself is whether lacking sentimentality, or acting in spite of one's sentimentality is a factor. here, I'm leaning toward the latter.

John Lau