Re: RARA-AVIS: colloquial and hardboiled

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Apr 2002

John,

Re the question you pose:

> a question I haven't yet answered for myself is
> whether lacking
> sentimentality, or acting in spite of one's
> sentimentality is a factor.
> here, I'm leaning toward the latter.

Like just about everything else except toughness and collquialism, it doesn't have anything to do with whether or not a character is hard-boiled. A hard-boiled character can be totally unsentimental, like Stark's Parker, or very sentimental under the hard exterior, like most of Thomas Walsh's Irish cops.
 A non-hard-boiled character can be totally unsentimental, like Sax Rohmer's Dr. Fu Manchu, or very sentimental, like Conan Doyle's Dr. Watson. Their sentimentality or lack of it isn't the deciding factor. Their attitude, as illustrated by the combination of toughness and colloquialism, is.

JIM DOHERTY