Re: RARA-AVIS: colloquial and hardboiled

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Apr 2002

John,

> although it's widely accepted around these parts
> that colloquial is one of
> the standards for hardboiling, I for one do not
> share this belief. for me,
> it all hardboils down into a character's attitude as
> defined by his or her
> actions.

Actions are important, but the way we express ourselves indicates the way we look at the world, indicates, in other words, our attitude. And attitude, as you correctly point out, is what defines hard-boiled. That's why Matt Helm, who talks the talk, is hard-boiled beyond any question, while the similar James Bond, who doesn't talk the talk, isn't.

Doesn't mean they aren't both great characters. Just that they dont't share the same world view, the same attitudes.

JIM DOHERTY