Re: RARA-AVIS: J.D. MacDonald

From: George Upper (
Date: 20 Apr 2002

--- wrote:
> My first choice would be to
> read the entire series in order, but that can be
> almost impossible (and
> probably too compulsive) a task.

Lucky I'm undauntable and compulsive. I'm doing just this, although I'm only able to read a chapter or so a day right now (thesis due April 23, final thesis copy due May 8, ugh). I managed to finish DRESS HER IN INDIGO (#11, 1969) this morning, and will start A LONG LAVENDER LOOK tonight or tomorrow. Then I'll start in with the non-McGee books I have, while looking for the ones I don't have on ebay or wherever.

There is a certain method to my madness, as my thesis is about 25% MacDonald, and you never know when I'll come up with something usable. Incidentally, I still owe y'all a report on my visit to the JDM collection at the U of Florida--I'll try to get to that soon.

At any rate, Joy, I suggest reading the MacDonalds you have in order. I actually don't think McGee develops much as a character through the series, but MacDonald does. Which is saying something, as THE DEEP BLUE GOOD-BY is about as strong a novel as anyone could wish for. You do have to be prepared for a certain amount of what appears to be misogyny and homophobia; after a while, though, I noticed that McGee is pretty much down on anyone who takes seriously anything but a job well done, a good time, romance, and fun. So the guys and the straights get their share of disparagement too.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal