Re: RARA-AVIS: Swimming, Angie and proofing

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Apr 2002

<<Socrates had done his murder and served his time when we meet him. No reader would ever mistake him for a victim.>>

I agree. His explanation of the murder that landed him in jail is as hardboiled as it's possible to be. To me, at least, it's clear that if tomorrow he were in the same situation, he would very likely do the same. He has no illusions about himself, about becoming all good. He fully assumes his goodness *and* his badness. Which is why he's one of the great characters of contemporary crime fiction. You can't peg him easily, and you can't predict how he will react. He's fully alive, ready to do whatever he has to do.

Ever since I read the stories that introduced Socrates, I've been wondering if Mosley based him on a real character.

Regards,

MrT

=====
"Don't just do something, sit there!" Thich Nhat Hanh