Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy

From: ansmith@netdoor.com
Date: 21 Dec 2001

> I'd also suggest the "Black Dahlia". I found the story and
characters
> riveting and it's told in a more straightforward, less stylistic way
than
> "L. A. Confidential".

Having seen several posts similar to this so far, I have to ask--What exactly is the trouble with "style" here? Granted, I agree that Ellroy's more recent work since My Dark Places has gotten parodic and tedious (especially the GQ stuff), but I think LAC and, a step above that, White Jazz, work great because of this hyper, scat-singing, broken style. Is there a problem then with style in general? Experimentation? What?

Neil Smith