Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy

From: Cristoforo ( Cristoforo@mediaone.net)
Date: 21 Dec 2001

> Having seen several posts similar to this so far, I have to ask--What
> exactly is the trouble with "style" here?

Nothing. In fact, I prefer the staccato-like style of "L. A. Confidential" to "Black Dahlia", but can see how it might keep some people at a distance.

Which brings up the question, which is more important, style or content, the story or how it's told? Neither? Both? There's been books with perfectly decent stories that I couldn't get through because I found it's style, rhythm or cadence off-putting. On the other hand, I've read books with very thin plots but are told in a compelling way that makes me keep reading.

Examples??

Brad