Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy

From: Cristoforo ( Cristoforo@mediaone.net)
Date: 21 Dec 2001

Carrie wrote:

> I'm curious, with the recent discussion of the LA Quartet books, if I
should
> give Ellroy another try. I read "LA Confidential" a few years ago after
> loving the film, and though I liked a lot of things about the book, it
left
> a bad taste in my mouth. I thought the story was good, but the stylized
> writing, rather cartoonish characterizations, and the humorless,
moralizing
> tone that seemed to be behind the whole exercise was too much. >

I'd also suggest the "Black Dahlia". I found the story and characters riveting and it's told in a more straightforward, less stylistic way than
"L. A. Confidential".

Also, for a truly terrifying read, try Ellroy's "Killer on the Road", one of his earlier efforts. Ellroy seems to know the thoughts and feelings of the main character (a serial killer) so thoroughly, it made me wonder about the author's sanity.

Brad