RARA-AVIS: Recent readings

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Nov 2001

Here's my report on recent readings:

Donald Westlake, The Hook. A fantastic, scary and moving book. It's as if a David Goodis had written this -- but with Westlake's skill. I would call it a noir classic.

Bill Pronzini, Oddments. An eclectic collection of short stories by this able practitioner. Another winner from Five Star. There is one Nameless detective story, not too shabby at that.

Bill Crider, The Nighttime is the Right Time. A very funny collection of stories, some dark, most lighthearted, all entertaining. There is one with Elvis and a vampire type, and another about a hilarious cat-parrot couple in Hollywood. Oh, and Bill cuts loose in a bone-chilling story about a rapist Published by Five Star.

Robert Skinner, Pale Shadow (Poisoned Pen). I read it in one sitting. The best Skinner so far. Self-assured, taut writing, vivid ambience, good plot. This book deserves to be read.

Two Raravians out of five... Cap'n Bill, what do I get for loyalty? And I have one by Manuel Ramos in the pipeline. AND I saw a couple of Marianne's books in my local library.

Regards,

MrT

=====
"Don't just do something, sit there!" Thich Nhat Hanh