Re: RARA-AVIS: Word-for-Word the Best Writer...

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 20 Nov 2001

Gerald So:
> Actually Parker's early (and best) paperbacks weighed in around 220
> pages (of smaller, packed-in type). Dell's MORTAL STAKES was clearly
> inflated. Books four through nine revert to small type. VALEDICTION is
> around 280 pages of fat type, and the rest of the books fluctuate, but
> the type is never as small as GODWULF again.

Gerald (and Kevin too), I have the original pb editions, either Dell or Berkley for Judas Goat. Of the first ten, Godwulf, Judas, Ssavage and Gyre are easily under 200 pages. The rest are under 230. Valediction seemed to start the longer trend, but to an inexpert eye the print does look larger. I do know the last two books I read seem to have a lot more white space. Of course, any space devoted to Pearl TWD, or often Susan, may be worse than white space, IMO.
:Mark