RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V3 #951 Mick Ballou

From: Dixon H. Chandler II ( dchandler@nettally.com)
Date: 13 Nov 2001

Mark noted:

>I hadn't thought of Mick Ballou in this category, but he sure fits.
>However, while the other honorable sides of the pairs generally try to
>rein in their evil doppelgangers (do you think it was mere coincidence
>that Parker made them literally black and white?), Matt Scudder's
>association with Mick often leads to his own corruption, to his engaging
>in behaviors he probably would not have done, or been "forced to do" on
>his own.

Yes. Although I think Scudder's certainly aware of the Ballou/corruption factor. He goes to Mick when he needs to get a dirty job done, doesn't he? When was Mick introduced? Does he predate Hawk? I don't think so, but I'm not sure, and whoever noted (I think it was Mark, again -- sharp guy, you!) that Parker split the PI into two sensibilities was right on the money.
(Unless Mick came first, that is.)

-dc

-dc