Re: RARA-AVIS: Richard Stark

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Oct 2001

Re Brad and Mark's comments on Richard Stark:

Not to toot my own horn (actually, tooting my own horn is EXACTLY what I'm doing), I wrote a story called
"The Ghost of Dillinger" in which the villain was a professional armed robber named Karper. It was published in a small-press anthology entitled TALES FROM THE RED LION.

The idea was that each story in the book was supposed to be set at a popular Chicago pub called the Red Lion. As it happens, the Red Lion is right across the street from the Biograph (where John Dillinger lost a shoot-out with FBI agents), I got the idea of pitting my cop-hero against a modern-day Dillinger.

Then I thought, "Why spend time and effort creating a modern-day Dillinger when Donald Westlake's already done it?" So I wrote Mr. Westlake, received permission to paly in his backyard, and proceeded to write my story which was published in due course.

If anyone's interested, TALES FROM THE RED LION can be ordered at:

http://www.TwilightTales.com

JIM DOHERTY