RARA-AVIS: Pronzini/San Francisco

From: Larson, Craig ( Craig.Larson@tsjc.cccoes.edu)
Date: 02 Oct 2001

I just finished reading my first "Nameless" mystery today, the (I believe) first in the series: _The Snatch_. I know nothing about San Francisco, never having been there, but the book certainly seemed hardboiled enough to me. Here we've got a detective who has essentially patterned his life after his beloved pulp magazine heroes, losing a long-time girlfriend in the process (she's tired of his adolescent yearnings to be one of the heroes in said magazines). Nameless has a good relationship with the local police force, having spent fifteen years as a policeman himself. He smokes way too much--throughout the book, he's constantly thinking about the harsh, rasping cough that accompanies each smoke and wondering if he should have a chest exam. One thing that I did wonder about though, is that he's 47 years old in this book and I know there are at least another twenty or so in the series--how does Pronzini handle this aspect of his character? Does Nameless age? Does he basically stay the same? By the end of _Crazybone_, he'd be in his 80s. Incidentally, I thought _Crazybone_ was to be the end of this series, but I just checked Amazon and see there's a new one, entitled _Bleeders_, due in January '02.

Craig Larson Trinidad, CO