RARA-AVIS: Cop Politics in Cop Novels

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Oct 2001

Scott,

Re your question below:

> But the one thing I find distinctive (and
> fascinating) is Conelley's strong
> focus on the oft-Byzantine internal workings of the
> LAPD.
> Theyr'e almost as much about cop-style office
> politics as crime. Does
> anyone know of any other procedural/hardboiled
> writers with a similar focus?

Off the top of my head, Robert Daley and William Caunitz spend as much time on the internal politics of the NYPD as they do on the crime being solved. Both were NYPD veterans. Daley, a journalist by profession, spent a a year as NYPD deputy commissioner for public relations, and Caunitz was a detective lieutenant in charge of a precinct squad.

Dan Mahoney, a former NYPD detective captain, also spends some time on NYPD politics, but his presentation is much more benign than Connelly, Daley, or Caunitz.

JIM DOHERTY