Re: RARA-AVIS: Latimer, Perry Mason, Library of Crime

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Oct 2001

Mat,

Re your questions below:

> How are the Perry Mason books, from a
> hardboiled perspective?

The earliest ones, written when Gardner was closest to his BLACK MASK roots are quite HB. Later ones, affected by the needs of the slick magazines in which he was trying to get serialization sales, and by the TV image, were less so.

> Also, the Library of Crime Classics series looks
> good. One listing they
> have is Secret Agent X-9 by Dashiell Hammett and
> Alex Raymond. Is that
> really co-authored by the two? How is it?

Reportedly, Hammett wrote the first three continuities of the X-9 strip, which were illustrated by Raymond. Raymond was simultaneously illustrating the FLASH GORDON strip on Sundays.

> What
> other Library of Crimes
> classics do people recommend? I haven't heard of
> some of these authors,
> like George Baxt,

Medium to hard.

> E. Richard Johnson,

Ex-con police procedural writer. Very hard.

> Paul Gallico,

Not hard unless there's something I haven't read.

Not sure about the others.

JIM DOHERTY