RARA-AVIS: Westlake on Falwell

From: Mark Harris ( mark_r_harris@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Sep 2001

This appeared in this morning's New York Times:

To the Editor:

I absolutely reject the notion, put forward by the Rev. Jerry Falwell and his apologists, that the United States is a sinful country (news article, Sept. 14).

Ours is the most moral and the most magnanimous country in the history of the world. The record of our good deeds since our founding is too large to contemplate. If we have a flaw - and everything human must - it is that we also produce these conscienceless creatures who would try to use our national grief as an opportunity to press forward their own cramped and divisive concerns.

These are the true war profiteers, and it is a further sign of our greatness that we suffer them.

DONALD E. WESTLAKE Ancram, N.Y., Sept. 15, 2001 The writer is the novelist.

__________________________________________________ Terrorist Attacks on U.S. - How can you help? Donate cash, emergency relief information http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/