Re: RARA-AVIS: Theme of the month - Los Angeles

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 05 Sep 2001

On 3 September 2001, M Blumenthal wrote:

: I think Los Angeles' smog is mentioned in all the books I have read
: that are set there in the present day.. Each book of one author, John
: Shannon, has had the environment as a continuing theme, as is evident
: in his titles: THE CONCRETE RIVER, THE CRACKED EARTH and THE POISON
: SKY.
:
: Could Marlowe, Bosch or Elvis Cole have lived elsewhere?

Thanks for getting things going on this season of city theme months. I hope people have a chance, and take the time, to read books set in the various cities, and say a few words about them. I also hope residents of the cities will comment.

My impression of Los Angeles is formed from books, movies and TV, and, meaning no disrepect to its residents, how it is now has never made me want to visit. The fictional LA of the forties and fifties, though, that's a place I'd like to see.

Bill