Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent Reads

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Jul 2001

--- Mark Sullivan < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> wrote:
> A bunch of people commented on the Richard Prather
> that Doug was
> reading, but no one commented on the other book he
> mentioned, Wireless
> by Jack O'Connell.

All of
> the books are very concerned with language and the
> way culture is passed
> along. And for all of the postmodern concerns and
> the increasingly
> expressionistic world, the stories are still
> presented through
> relatively linear narrative. O'Connell is one of
> the very few writers I
> believe is doing something really new (partially)
> within the genre.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. On one of my teetering "to read" piles I have O'Connell's WORD MADE FLESH, so I'll be curious to see how he's developed.

I generally find authors obsessed with postmodern themes to be quite dull, but O'Connell manages to mostly escapes that trap.

He's definitely worth a look, anyway.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com