Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent Reads

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 22 Jul 2001

Doug wrote:

"Yeah, I'd have to agree. On one of my teetering "to read" piles I have O'Connell's WORD MADE FLESH, so I'll be curious to see how he's developed."

Have you read the other three? Word Made Flesh is like entering a German Expressionist print, which is wholly appropriate considering it deals with Nazi pogroms. It's very dark and is not nearly as orthodox in its narrative as the others (not to say they were orthodox), which isn't too surprising since one of its themes is the end of narrative. Although there is still a crime to be investigated, the plot spins off much further from that core than the earlier books.

I still recommend the book. I'm just warning that it is most definitely not the O'Connell book to start with.

Mark