Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent Reads

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 21 Jul 2001

A bunch of people commented on the Richard Prather that Doug was reading, but no one commented on the other book he mentioned, Wireless by Jack O'Connell.

I'm a big fan of O'Connell's series. I've read all four. The first, Box Nine, is probably the most orthodox of the four, but even it goes far beyond the normal cop book. Each book gets a little more out there, a bit darker (and the first one is already pretty damn dark). All of the books are very concerned with language and the way culture is passed along. And for all of the postmodern concerns and the increasingly expressionistic world, the stories are still presented through relatively linear narrative. O'Connell is one of the very few writers I believe is doing something really new (partially) within the genre.

Mark