RE: RARA-AVIS: i've been listening

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 23 Apr 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Robison Michael R CNIN wrote:

> i put them all in copyright order and started with hammet's red harvest.
> lean straightforward prose. short tight sentences. hmm... this all sounds
> VERY familiar. i need to dig up a chronology of hemingway's books, but
> i'm thinking _in our time_ and _the sun also rises_ came out around 1925.
> wonder if hammet was influenced by hemingway?

He may have been, after Hemingway's first books came out, but Hammett had already established his style before Hemingway broke out. In 1922, when Hammett's first hardboiled stories appeared in Black Mask, Hemingway had published only journalist pieces and some fiction in France in obscure editions.

Juri