Re: RARA-AVIS: Hi, folks

From: Bill Crider ( abc@wt.net)
Date: 09 Apr 2001

Good to see MT back on the list.

Here's a little quotation about work from A WALK IN THE JUNGLE a 1975 Pinnacle Book. The speaker is the book's narrator, a former professional killer for the U.S. Government:

"I liked the work. I quit because I didn't like being a killer. Notice that's a nice intellectual distinction there. I wasn't afraid of being killed. I didn't mind killing. I didn't want to think of myself as a killer. So I quit. . . . I had liked the work."

I picked this book up the other day, and in spite of a few implausibilities, it's very fast-moving and tough. Here's a sample of the narrator's sensibility, when he describes how hard it is not to cry out when you experience a sudden fall:

"I threw an Egyptian out of a helicopter once. He screamed when he started to fall and he was as good a man as I ever saw. He didn't scream when the Israeli cut off his nipples, but he screamed when he went out of the helicopter."

Bill Crider