Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Simenon short story volumes

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 08 Apr 2001

Doug,

"Signe' Picpus" (1944) is a mix of three Maigret short stories: Signe' Picpus L'inspecteur cadavre Felicie est la

And.. plus the older "Nouvelles exotiques" that could be called crime stories, but not detective stories as a such. They are what Simenon called:
"Nouvelles aventures policieres", title that was changed by Gallimard, and were written around 1936-37.

"Le bateau d'Emile" -1954- is part of the short stories forgotten by Simenon (written around 1945) and issued after his secretary found them in his archives. Not detective stories, more of his noir/dur vein... The others were published in 1963 "La rue aux trois poussins" but written in the early 40's. Not detective stories either.

"Un Noel de Maigret" is dated 1951.

Most Maigrets are constantly re-issued in French, and, in the recent years, a rather complete "All by Simenon" was issued in France (whatever was the publisher, collected in a sort of collection of Omnibus volumes).

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

--- dgreene@odu.edu wrote: SNIP