Re: RARA-AVIS: Robin Cook's crime novels(was:David Peace/Nineteen Seventy) Four

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 08 Apr 2001

--- Mark Sullivan < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> wrote:
> John wrote:
>
> "BTW I suppose He Died With His Eyes Open was Robin
> Cook's first crime
> novel."
>
> I don't know, I'd call The Crust on Its Uppers a
> crime novel, even if it
> could also be classified a novel of class and
> adolescence, kind of a
> cross between Get Carter and Catcher in the Rye.

'He Died with his Eyes Open'(1983 in France- 1984 in the UK)is the first novel of the "Factory" cycle, which is defintively a series of crime novels. But, as far as I know, there was another one, published earlier in France and never published in English yet, its projected title was: 'Sick Transit'("Le soleil qui s'eteint" in French - published in 1982). "..soleil.." was the first novel Cook wrote after 10 years of silence, and is a crime novel- but I didn't read it at the time.

He was forced to use a pseudonym (Derek Raymond) for his UK and US editions from 1984 onwards.

Hope this helps.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384