Re: RARA-AVIS: Australian Mystery

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 17 Jan 2001

I did not know that only so little info was available to our Japanese friends! So:

- There is a contemporary writer from Down Under, rather successful, not to be forgotten: Peter Corris, with his series about the PI Cliff Hardy, and more. His crime novels belong to the HB area.

-There is a "special case" with Carter Brown!

Very successful during the sixties/seventies with his parodies and pastiches of HB. He died in 1985. Not always the best of writers, very commercially orientated and with "template plots" , not forgetting stereotyped characters. But there are a few gems of humor amongst his huge production of novels. He was Australian (- was born in the UK), but his production looked like something American by intention and most of his plots took place in the USA. Carter Brown always pretended that he never used ghost writers.

-Among other mystery genres: There is a curiosity: Napoleon Bonaparte, the Aborigene detective; series of novels set in the Australian bush. Mainstream type of detection novels. By Arthur Upfield (died in the 60s)

There must be others, especially of the British tradition, but I'm not very good at this genre as my interest is more HB/Noir orientated (as expected from Rare Avians)...

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384 Polar Noir http://www.geociites.com/polarnoir