Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: New Hope for the Vocabulary-Challenged

From: Robert Centor ( rcentor@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Jan 2001

i·at·ro·gen·ic (-tr-jnk) adj. Induced in a patient by a physician's activity, manner, or therapy. Used especially of an infection or other complication of treatment.

nosocomial \Nos`o*co"mi*al\, a. [L. nosocomium a hospital, Gr.
   ?; ? disease + ? to attend to.]
   Of or pertaining to a hospital; as, nosocomial atmosphere.
   --Dunglison.

We have overlapping Venn diagrams. Many infections are both iatrogenic and noscomial. If I draw fluid out of a knee in my office, the patient becomes infected - that is iatrogenic. If you are admitted to the hospital, have no procedures, yet develop an infection, that is noscomial.

If I operate and you get infected your infection is both iatrogenic and noscomial.