Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: New Hope for the Vocabulary-Challenged

From: BetsyaW@aol.com
Date: 12 Jan 2001

believe the significance of the use of the word is If we have a word describing medical problems resulting from medical treatment, there must be a frightening number of iatrogenic complications. Someone who writes about word usage recently remarked about the increasing number of obits listing cause of death as 'complications resulting from cancer treatment. ' The Vietnamization of medical care: we had to kill the patient in order to save him. Betsy In a message dated 1/12/01 9:50:25 AM, rcentor@yahoo.com writes:

<< Iatrogenic - a complication caused by medical treatment.

Context might help -

despite an initially smooth recovery from his appendectomy, he became very ill due to an iatrogenic infection

the iatrogenic infection refers to an infection acquired during hospitalization

I hope that is both accurate and helpful >>