RARA-AVIS: Mike Shayne

From: Bill Crider ( abc@wt.net)
Date: 06 Dec 2000

I'm fortunate enough to have known James Reasoner for a few years, so I remember when he was writing for MSMM, and I bought the magazine every month. In fact, I have quite a few of them lined up on my shelves right now. I thought James' stories were always good, and I think that for Mike Shanye Month, I'll go back and read a couple of them. As James pointed out, Joe Lansdale was also doing some work for the magazine, and so was Lew Shiner. Joe and Lew collaborated on a few private-eye stories as well, and those have been collected in a book called PRIVATE EYE ACTION AS YOU LIKE IT, or something like that. I can't locate my copy right now. At any rate, not only are the stories good, but Lew and Joe wrote an intro for the book in which they discuss writing for MSMM in those days. The intro is worth the price of the book, if you can find it, which is doubtful. It's probably out of print. As James said, it's hard to believe all that was so long ago, as I was corresponding with all three guys at the time, and to me it seems like only a couple of months have gone by.

Bill Crider