Re: RARA-AVIS: The Dain Curse-why the bad rap?

From: Chris Routledge ( srcrout@ntlworld.com)
Date: 14 Sep 2000

>I can't remember--does the Op have his own car? Is it mentioned what kind
>it is? I noticed while watching THE MALTESE FALCON that Spade gets around
>only in cabs, which I bet must have been pretty easy in downtown San
>Francisco back then. Marlowe does a fair bit of driving in all his books,
>as I recall, and so do Lew Archer and most everyone else. Matt Scudder
>walks or takes cabs or the subway, but he's in central New York.

I don't think the Op has his own car (not in Red Harvest anyway), but in that novel they hole up in a farmhouse somewhere, don't they, after that bizarre and brilliantly comic car chase? Thinking about Holmes, there are at least two of his cases where some of the action takes place in the US, and in the Valley of Fear (1915), there are some really hard-boiled moments involving a Pinkerton detective in the mining town of Vermissa. A template for RH?

Cheers Chris