Re: RARA-AVIS: The Dain Curse-why the bad rap?

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 14 Sep 2000

On 14 September 2000, Chris Routledge wrote:

: Marlowe is based in LA, but all of his cases involve a trip beyond its
: limits; to the mountains, to Esmeralda, to Bay City, to the end of one
: or other of the half-inhabited canyons.

I can't remember--does the Op have his own car? Is it mentioned what kind it is? I noticed while watching THE MALTESE FALCON that Spade gets around only in cabs, which I bet must have been pretty easy in downtown San Francisco back then. Marlowe does a fair bit of driving in all his books, as I recall, and so do Lew Archer and most everyone else. Matt Scudder walks or takes cabs or the subway, but he's in central New York.

Bill