RARA-AVIS: Anthony Boucher

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 23 Aug 2000

Anthony Boucher was a lot of things, including a writer of limericks as we've seen from Luca Conti's posting. He was also one of the founding editors of The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, one of the most important magazines in the field. But mainly, he was one of the best and most insightful reviewers of mystery novels ever to put his thoughts on paper. His columns in The New York Times Book Review are a gold mine, and I spent a lot of hours during my graduate student career sitting in the stacks of the library and going through back issues, reading and taking notes. I figure those notes were a lot more valuable than any I ever took in class.

Among other things, Boucher was the first to take paperback originals seriously and to do reviews of them in a national publication. He reviewed writers that everyone else was ignoring. John D. MacDonald, Charles Williams, and Jim Thompson, for three.

Bill Crider