R: RARA-AVIS: Boucher / limerick porn

From: Manuela Selvi ( manuelaselvi@tiscalinet.it)
Date: 24 Aug 2000

According to Francis Nevins, in his introduction to Boucher's "Exeunt Murderers",
"He had enough hobbies for a small army - gourmet cooking, wine culture, football and basketball, Gilbert and Sullivan, theology, limericks, multilingual Scrabble, poker - and gave time and skill to each". More, Boucher was a big opera fan, record collector and radio broadcaster, writer of printed program notes for classical concerts, political spokesman and so on. In Nevins' words, "Boucher lived and worked at 78rpm while the rest of the world revolved lazily at 33".

Luca Conti

luconti@tin.it

-----Messaggio originale----- Da: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca [mailto: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca]Per conto di Michael Sharp Inviato: giovedi 24 agosto 2000 15.10 A: rara-avis@icomm.ca Oggetto: RARA-AVIS: Boucher / limerick porn

I don't know a lot about Anthony Boucher beyond his being a mystery reviewer for the NYTimes and a sometime writer. I think "Bouchercon" is named for him, but I'm not even sure what "Bouchercon" is. ANYWAY, I was doing research on Kenneth Millar (Ross Macdonald) at UC Irvine and found letters from Boucher to Millar that were hilarious for one simple reason: they contained pornographic (and I mean graphic) limericks. I was expecting some kind of insightful exchange about the status of the mystery genre, and I get something along the lines of "There once was a man from Nantucket," only raunchier. One was a "tenson" -- a longish debate poem. In this one, which is in limerick stanzas, two men debate the proper object of sexual desire. Was Boucher known for this kind of "humor"???

Michael D. Sharp Assistant Professor Binghamton University (SUNY) Department of English Binghamton, NY 13902-6000
(607) 777-2418