RARA-AVIS: Re: Carver Bascombe

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 10 Jun 2000

>I saw a bunch of Carver Bascombe books by Ken Davis (first with someone
>else, forget who) in a bookstore the other day. Any opinions on the
>series?

Not as good or as hard as the Shaft books, but they're at least interesting for their peeks into various arts, and for being one of the longest-running series about a black eye (I've no idea whether Davis was black or not). I just finished the first by Davis alone, I think, THE FORZA TRAP (about opera), and it wasn't that good (a lot of clunky writing, and some good bits), but the series does get better, as Davis hits his stride.

A generally solid series of PBO's, nothing great, but not a complete waste of time. And Carver Bascombe has to be one of the more embarrassing monikers ever given to a P.I.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/

An A&E Mystery.com Site of the Week, but don't let that discourage you.