Re: RARA-AVIS: Ed Bunker

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 29 Apr 2000

I haven't read Little Boy Blue, yet, but I can vouch for No Beast So Fierce. It is really quite good. It follows a convict after his release from prison. It was made into the pretty good/not great movie Straight Time, starring Dustin Hoffman. I've also read his Animal Factory, which is set in prison, as an older convict takes a younger convict under his wing, teaching him the ropes. It's also impressive. I'm looking forward to the movie of that one, starring Willem Dafoe and Edward Furlong, directed by Steve Buscemi.

I've got Little Boy Blue and Dog Eat Dog on my shelves, but haven't read them yet. I am just starting his autobiography, Education of a Felon.

Someone recently posted an interview with him at Salon. In it, Bunker speaks of how Jack Henry Abbot almost ruined it for him, that after all, they were the only two convict writers who made it out of jail, so people feared Bunker would explode as Abbot did. Anyway, is that right? I can think of a few who write from inside, but did anyone else make it out?

Mark