RARA-AVIS: RUN

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 20 Apr 2000

Back to HB.

I had read conflicting review of this Winter guy's book RUN. But I found it at the library, and I have to say I'm impressed. I see where the "too-hip" narration might irk folks, but it's ok. Definitely distilled Ellroy and Leonard. But voicey enough to keep me interested. I like this book a lot. I like the average-joe gun runner lead. Try this one.

And I just got the newly reissued TAPPING THE SOURCE from Kem Nunn, which I've heard damn good things about for a long time. 4 Walls 8 Windows has it out in trade PB now. Surfer HB/Noir. Heard it was a big influence on Pelecanos.