Re: RARA-AVIS: The American Way (was serial killers)

From: David Lane ( dalane@argonet.co.uk)
Date: 05 Mar 2000

In article < 28994-38C19FEE-1776@mailtod-198.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
   Mark Sullivan < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> wrote:

> This American Way debate has gotten me wondering -- is this stereotype
> that mainstream taste is crap and discerning readers are drawn to
> less-popular, but better quality literature peculiarly American or does
> it hold sway in other countries around the world?

The stereotype applies to all the arts, and has more to do with the romantic image of the delicate, sensitive and insightfulness of the lonely starving artist. A myth, of course.

There must be a few here old enough to have read the music press in the sixties and seventies, remember the twaddle about selling out. Same thing.

David