Re: RARA-AVIS: The American Way (was serial killers)

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 04 Mar 2000

>I think this type of book is written for
> the unthinking, uncritical masses who want to be repulsed and scared, but
> don't want to have to be critical and think about what they are reading.

Even Poe and earlier crime narratives tried for that, too. And there is a place for that type of work, and it sometimes comes out just fine. I occasionally pick up a big thriller, but I just want to be aware going in that it is indeed that type of book. No disappointments. But they're still not as good as ones with meat on 'em.

Neil Smith