Re: RARA-AVIS: The Old Man & Conrad & Short Books (was Paying by weight (was Dennis Lehane))

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 03 Mar 2000

Just for the record, I did not praise Conrad for subtle symbolism, although I did slight Old Man for overwrought symbolism. There is nothing that could get me to read the latter book again. I did once very much enjoy earlier Hemingway, especially the short stories. I've read Heart of Darkness several times and it really struck a chord, though it's been quite a while since I've read it, also. All in all, I'm generally more interested in more contemporary fiction.

Mark