RARA-AVIS: Crafty argument

From: Mark Sullivan ( AnonymeInc@WEBTV.NET)
Date: 08 Feb 2000

Craft doesn't change? I beg to differ. Written in a different time, Hemingway's or Hammett's stripped-down writing might very well have been considered bad craft.

I don't believe style and craft can be isolated. The analogy that comes quickest to my mind is music, new styles are often thought to be nothing more than badly crafted versions of earlier styles, instead of well-crafted versions that come to define a new style. For instance, rock 'n' roll was dismissed as bad r 'n' b, until people recognized it had its own style _and_ craft. The same goes for painting, Impressionism was dismissed as blurry paintings until people recognized they were well-done in their new style.

I believe the same goes for writing. I am not claiming that all bad writing could be considered a well-crafted version of some new style, but every once in a while a bit is in the vanguard.

Mark