RARA-AVIS: Fredric Brown, Leigh Brackett and a question.

From: Mark Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 08 Jan 2000

 Mario Taboada wrote,

The lack of reprints suggests that an entire generation of mystery readers has grown up without knowing about Fredric Brown. On the other hand, it's hard to imagine *any* reader not liking Brown. He's one of the most fun writers (as well as one of the greatest) in the mystery and SF genres.

Uppon checking my books, I find I have read 8 Brown titles and 10 by Leigh Brackett. The Browns are all sf. While I mildly liked them, I don't remember them as exceptional. I think they were pretty light. It's hard for me to conceive that he is such a loved mystery writer with hard boiled credentials. Upon reading about him on this list I've looked for his mysteries, but the few I found were much higher than I cared to pay.

 The Bracketts were classified as sf, but today I think most would be called sword and sworcery. By changing the settings from Venus and the like to '30's or '40's America I can see them as easily transformed into hard boiled action books.

I know there are authors who have melded the genres, but are there current hard boiled authors prominent in both fields? If so, is their work in sf/fantasy close to hard boiled? Mark

.