Re: RARA-AVIS: Fredric Brown, Leigh Brackett and a question.

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Jan 2000

David Bell:

<< Along the same lines, are there any authors who write hard-boiled westerns? I know Leonard has written them, and Charles Willeford wrote one. Anyone else?>>

Several, off the top of my head. Max Brand, Frank Gruber, Merle Constiner, Loren Estleman, and last, one of the best: Bill Crider, our resident Human Encyclopedia. Could Zane Grey be considered hardboiled?

The great Erle Stanley Gardner also wrote westerns
(stories; I don't know if there are novels).

I am sure there are lots more I'm forgetting, and even more that I don't know about. Sure enough, I just remembered Cormac McCarthy (no introduction needed, I hope).

Regards,

===== Mario Taboada

"To a mouse, cheese is cheese: that is why mousetraps work." (Unattributed)