Re: RARA-AVIS: Mystery and Mercenaries

pabergin (pabergin@gte.net)
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 09:40:07 -0500

>I would like to know if there are any writers on soldiers of fortune or
>mercenaries

Randy Wayne White has written two series of the type you mention, under the pseudonyms Carl Ramm and Randy Stryker. The Stryker hero is MacMurphy, I believe. Something very close to that, anyway. I can't recall the Ramm character's name.

Both were numbered series a la The Executioner or Milo March and both are highly collectible and usually priced accordingly, though a friend who has complete sets of both series says that he still sees bargains, though not nearly as often as was the case as late as 2 years ago. The reason for the prices, I suspect, is that White is a collector's darling just now, with copies of Sanibel Flats going for $1000 -- $1200 and Heat Islands not far behind, and dealers are exploiting the interest while it lasts. PB