RARA-AVIS: UK TV

ejm duggan (ejmd@cwcom.net)
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 02:31:04 +0000

Tonight's double-helping of Fallen Angels brought a Hammett and a Woolrich story.

The Hammett was 'Fly Paper', which was, imo, v. well done (though the action, I think, was shifted from SF to LA). Screenplay by Donald Westlake, and the Op was played by Jim from Taxi!! The twist (not the wandering daughter, but the moll) was quite well played too, but maybe because Hammett gave her some good lines.

Didn't catch much of the Woolrich (too busy scanning a copy of 'Fly Paper'!), but it was the story of a hotel room, in which we find a hood with a penchant for ladies of the night ... it soon turns into a kind of oedipally charged guilt-trip as the hood's fear of death taunts him through dreams, until the pay-off ...

There's *one more* tale left in the series, which is on at 1:00 am on Thurs or Fri ... the continuity announcer gave a brief blurb, but didn't actually let on what the final story will be ...

ED